- action
- myths
- privilege
- systems
- individual
- paths of least resistance
- discrimination
- risks
- silence
Johnson argues that every small thing we do contributes to creating a solution to the trouble we're in, and that we must do what we can in order to eliminate systems of power and privilege.
EVIDENCE:
"Nothing we do as individuals matters but that it's vitally important to do it anyway" (132)
"You say the little efforts that i make
will do no good; they will never prevail
to tip the hovering scale
where Justice hangs in the balance.
I don't think
I ever thought they would.
But I am prejudiced beyond debate
In favor of my right to choose which side
shall feel the stubborn ounces of my weight"
"Power concedes to nothing without a demand. It never has and it never will."
COMMENTS:
While reading this I remembered back to when I first read Johnson. I even looked over my old paper, the first one I wrote for this class. I feel now that I have progressed so much in terms of the way that I think and in turn the way that I participate in society. Although I still have doubts about whether I will be able to continue in this enlightenment on my own, I look forward to the challenges that face me in the future. In case anyone is reading this... although I have my doubts as if anyone else will actually read this, I have decided that I will no longer be an education major at RIC. As of next semester I will be majoring in B.A. in music, and will devote my career to speaking out against injustice through my music. This has truely been one of the most enlightening experiences of my life. Thank you all for the words and thoughts you have shared with me.

2 comments:
Its so sad that your not going to be a teacher. I think that being a teacher would also be enlighting to know that what you are teaching and how you teach would be coming from what we have learned in this class. And that children could walk away learning something from you that no one else would have taught them.
I agree with lindsey..teaching is a great way to bring the issues from this class up to children at a young age, where they will learn the most. I also agree with you also becuase this class has enlightened me in many ways. I wish I could find a way to teach these things to other people in a more inspirational way.
Post a Comment